The operational regulations of the Diaspora Scholarship Programme are available both in English and in Hungarian:
Diaspora - Higher Education Scholarship Program
The aim of the Diaspora Higher Education Scholarship Program (hereinafter: the Scholarship Program) is to provide special support for the studies of foreign students with Hungarian roots in Hungarian higher education institutions.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs is responsible for the operation of the Scholarship Program and is managed by the Tempus Public Foundation.
The program covers the Hungarian diaspora community in all countries of the world, except for the Member States of the European Union, the Republic of Serbia and the Transcarpathian region of Ukraine.
The Diaspora Higher Education Scholarship Program application was announced for the first time at the end of 2020 in 2021/2022 to apply for admission for the academic year.
Conditions for participation in the program
Hungarian identity and connection to the diaspora community, which the applicant presents in a motivation letter and confirms in a statement,
- residing in one of the assisted regions,
- a recommendation from a diaspora organization or a Hungarian mission in the area,
- residence outside Hungary for at least 10 years,
- 4 years of secondary education outside Hungary,
- the applicant reaches the age of 18 by 31 August, except for applicants to dance courses,
- the applicant undertakes to study Hungarian during his / her studies in Hungary and to pass the B2 level language exam by graduation,
- the applicant undertakes to assist the local Hungarian diaspora in a country with community work for the period specified in the call for proposals after graduation.
Applicants must meet the admission requirements set by the host higher education institution. Admission is done online by higher education institutions.
The letter of motivation is evaluated by a professional body set up from the members invited by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the judging committee. The award of the scholarship will be based on the results of the admission and the proposal of the jury.
Detailed application conditions and the selection procedure will be included in the call for proposals.
- exemption from reimbursement of the cost of education,
- health support (TAJ card).
Benefits available on special request (conditions are included in the Regulations):
- contribution to the cost of living and housing.
- Available training
The Hungarian higher education institutions that offer training in the Stipendium Hungaricum program participate in the Scholarship Program.
In the case of English language training, the scholarship holder must also participate in Hungarian as a foreign language training during the period of his/ her studies. For studies planned in Hungarian, we provide an opportunity for a Hungarian language preparer.
How to apply
- the candidate can apply for a maximum of 2 elective courses,
- the application is submitted online.
- 2020: launch of a call for proposals
- January 2021: application deadline
- March-May 2021: Institutional recruitment procedures
- June 2021: tender result
- September 2021: beginning of studies in Hungary
Legal background of the scholarship program: 203/2020. (V. 14.) on the Diaspora Higher Education Scholarship Program and on the amendment of certain government decrees necessary for the operation of the Diaspora Higher Education Scholarship Program.
The detailed rules of the Scholarship Program and the detailed conditions of application will be included in the Regulations and the Implementation Guide, as well as in the official call for proposals, which will be available on the website of the Scholarship Program starting in the autumn (www.diasporascholarship.hu).