The mission of the institution
The primary mission of the University of Nyíregyháza, established by the integration of the predecessor institutions, is education, but it also has the function of a knowledge and innovation centre in the region, through which it plays a decisive role in providing human resources for the economy, and its cultural mission is to improve the region's population retention capacity and quality of life. The University aims to provide existing and incoming employers in the region with a workforce that is both has up-to-date knowledge and is capable of continuous improvement, as lifelong learning and the institutional framework for it are vital for the region.
University teachers' continuously assessed, market-oriented teaching, research and innovation activities should be rewarded by the institution with recognition, support and quality salaries in accordance with the work done. The greatest challenge for the coming years, both for the institution and for the professionals it produces, will be to respond proactively to rapidly changing circumstances and to compensate for occasional disadvantages. As opinion-forming intellectuals in local communities, graduates from the University are credible ambassadors of the University's mission and the status of university citizenship, significantly enhancing the attractiveness of the University.
In addition to the transfer of quality theoretical and practical knowledge, the greatest benefit of the in presence education is the acquisition of the moral and ethical standards necessary for the practice of a given profession through group work. Next to the traditional methods of in person learning, digital, online and asynchronous training methods, which are better suited to individual priorities and skills, are increasingly in demand.
Vision of the University of Nyíregyháza
The vision of the University of Nyíregyháza is defined by the principles and strategic goals of the University, in line with the Nftv and the Public Task Financing Contract, building on the values of a wide range of university citizens and the key labour market players in the region:
1. to increase the university's openness and flexibility, to adapt continuously to changes in the external environment, to set measurable strategic objectives alongside operational short-term goals, and to establish the long-term sustainable course of the institution by finding the right balance between the necessary structural and content changes.
2. to raise the status of university citizenship, to build a brand, to emphasise the relationship of mutual benefit between the individual and the organisation, based on the human capital of the institution.
3. Experiential learning-learning at the Green University
Finding ways for students to earn additional income by using the skills and competences they have acquired during their studies to earn a living wage in a part-time job in a field similar to their future specialisation. We want to be a strong and stable base for the local labour market, based on our uniqueness as a student-centred and people-centred educational activity. The University aims to provide opportunities to overcome social disadvantage by strengthening talent colleges, supported by sponsorship from the region's wealthier employers, and by supporting the alumni association, relieving families in need of the costs of university.
The Digital Transformation is a key instrument for the recent economic re-launch, in which Digital Education is a priority. Digital learning materials, modern communication tools and the possibility of instant assessment and feedback significantly increase students' willingness to participate, helping them to experience engaging learning.
In line with its status as a university of applied sciences, the University of Nyíregyháza focuses on undergraduate education, but maintaining and raising the quality of education is inconceivable without a master's programme based on undergraduate education and the research and development that provides the framework for this. The University's research, development and innovation activities are aimed at solving the problems faced by the region, using the results of national and international research infrastructure. This activity is aimed at converting the results of science into useful products and services. Increasing the effectiveness and profitability of the innovation activity at the University can be based on a complex innovation strategy involving the business sector of the region, guaranteeing the stakeholders a distribution of the income generated on the market in proportion to the costs of development and the protection of the intellectual property produced at the University in the form of patents and industrial property rights. There should be clear and transparent processes for departments and individuals to regulate the use of the research resources involved, taking into account the interests of individuals and the institution in a fair way. To increase the efficiency of the Institution, it is necessary to decompose and monitor the resources and requirements of the Public Service Contract for research at departmental level.
Quality policy of the University of Nyíregyháza
The aim of the quality policy of the University of Nyíregyháza is to ensure and promote the development of the institutional quality culture, according to which all teachers, researchers, students and staff of the institution take responsibility for the development of quality and participate in quality assurance at all levels of the institution. Our fundamental mission is to serve society, the economy and industrial partners through the transfer of knowledge and technology and the high quality transfer, development and innovation of related knowledge.
The main objectives of our quality policy are the following concerning the University of Nyíregyháza:
• Through its educational innovation, students acquire high quality, secure and valuable knowledge that is competitive at both national and international level;
• In the organisation and management of its activities, it pays particular attention to meeting the needs of students;
• to serve social and economic objectives through its K&F&I activities, becoming a centre of research, technological development and innovation in the region and the county;
• to constantly enhance its established reputation and strengthen its position in national and international higher education competition;
• to train successful practitioners through the involvement and cooperation of labour market players;
• communicate effectively internally and externally;
• provide its staff with a reliable job, a suitable working environment and professional development;
• cooperate effectively with higher education institutions, social and economic organisations in our country and in Europe to enrich cultural and economic life;
• promote academic integrity and freedom while combating fraud and unethical behaviour;
• opposes all forms of intolerance and discrimination against teachers, non-teaching staff and students;
• Align its quality development objectives with the strategic elements of the Institutional Development Plan.
To implement the Quality Policy, the University management:
• has established, operates and continuously develops a quality management system to ensure the quality of training and research activities, which measurably improves the quality of professional training and the research, development and innovation carried out at the University;
• using the results of its measurements in a controlled way to improve teaching, research and student services, thereby continuously improving the satisfaction of its citizens and partners;
• involve the staff and students of the institution in its activities;
• encouraging its staff to continuously improve their knowledge and expertise;
• expects all its staff to contribute their personal knowledge and responsibility to the:
• success of the University.
• extends the scope of the Quality Policy to outside contractors.
We are convinced that our theoretically well-grounded and committed practice-oriented training provides the region with professionals who can make a significant contribution to the development of this area.
Nyíregyháza, 16 May 2023.
Dr György Szabó